Sunday, October 27, 2013

This is just weird, man

So yeah, it's taken me a while to make a proper "first" post. I tried several times to post this, but it has all gone to bust. So here is my fourth attempt. Let's hope it works.
This is not to say that I have just recently come to terms with being strange. This is to say that in a relativistic sense, I am not strange at all.
Granted, my life is strange, and yeah, my experiences molded me into the person that I am today. That's no secret. But all in all, I'm no stranger than anyone else, really. Everyone's a freak in their own right, and that's not such a bad thing. But I am not here to talk about what people should think about the freakery of their fellow freaks. I just want to let everyone know that there are freaks among you and you are in no way alone. Even that prick who lives two doors down and only ever talks about stock market trends and his worry that the invisible hand may some day fail (which could, in truth, be considered strange in certain circles) is a closeted freak. Rest assured that the old lady who (to your knowledge) does nothing but sit at home and knit has a past that could be comparable, if not to Mic Jagger's, then to your present.
I tell my friends stories about my other friends. I regale them with tales of my libertarian pagan pansexual polyamorous panromantic vegan friend whose mother hails from Africa but is as white as Andy Warhol. I tell my friends the stories of my buddy who volunteered at an orphanage and had the children perform "It's a Hard Knock Life" for the person in charge. I entertain companions with accounts of my friend who rides elephants for a hobby "because fuck you, that's why."
All of them say "Wow, your friends are really strange." They always did, and up until recently I answered "Yes, aren't they great?" Now, that's not exactly a bad or disrespectful answer, but it wasn't entirely accurate.
Recently, I started answering "No, they're just honest." I guess that's why I love them so much. I keep a pretty eclectic group of friends. From the European violin player to the Dutch Countess to the American everything else, they fill my life with joy and the confidence to be who I am today...or something mushy like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment