Monday, December 23, 2013

Something to get you into the Christmas mood, courtesy of Tom Waits

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Charlie, I'm pregnant and living on 9th St. above a dirty bookstore off Euclid Ave. I stopped taking dope. I quit drinking whiskey and my old man plays the trombone and works out at the tracks. He says that he loves me and though it's not his baby, he says that he'll raise him up  like he would his own son.
He gave me a ring that was worn by his mother. He takes me out dancing every Saturday night. Hey, Charlie, I think about you  every time I pass the filling station on account of all the grease you used to wear in your hair. I still have that record, Little Anthony and the Imperials, but someone stole my record player. Now, how'd you like that? Charlie, I almost went crazy  after Mario got busted.
I went back to Omaha to live with my folks. Everyone I used to know was either dead or in prison, so I came back to Minneapolis. This time I think I'm gonna stay. Charlie, I think I'm happy for the first time since my accident. I wish I had all that money we used to spend on dope. I'd buy me a used car lot and I wouldn't sell any of 'em. I'd just drive me a different car every day depending on how I feel. Hey, Charlie, for Christ's sake, if you want to know the truth of it. I don't have a husband. He don't play the trombone. I need to borrow money to pay this lawyer. Charlie, hey!  I'll be eligible for parole come Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment