Sunday, December 15, 2013

Wisdom to live by

In the not-so-distant past (about a few months ago), I would spend my Friday evenings with my friend, watching and analyzing the ever loving shit out of Monty Python films. They made lots of great points on camera. I don't even know where to start. Their show did not offer too much insight on life, politics, religion, love and whatever else, but I always felt that if I need some cultural insight, I would go to Python. Their humor was so democratic, appealing to everyone. From lowest, most wretched fools of cockney society, to the most educated and cultured of Britons, to the relatively intelligent American teenagers, Monty Python has been able to stimulate...well...something with those darling little skits that we watch on our television, computer, cellphone and tablet screens.

Even still, with their genius on stage, the most powerful point that they ever made was done during an interview. Graham Chapman, bless his soul, as many of you probably already know, was gay. When word got out, some people were upset. During the interview, one of the people in the audience members (it was one of those interviews) said that she knew that one of the members of Python was gay, and it upset her because the bible says that it's wrong. Eric, in his infinite wisdom, then proceeded to saying very well be one of the most important things anyone has ever said...or at least one of the most important things I have ever heard anyone say.

He said, "We've found out who it was and we've taken him out and had him killed." That probably shut her up.

Think about that for a moment. That's pretty fucking good. What does it mean? It means that he used comedy for its most powerful purpose. He did not yell at her. He did not say something boring. He did not insult her back and he most certainly did not physically attack her. 

No, he told a joke. He told a powerful joke. He told a joke that disarmed the situation. He told a joke that demonstrated how to deal with bigotry. He showed the world how to look at hate and win. The only other joke I can think of that is as powerful is the one Bill Hicks told about how he offended some rednecks. They said "We're Christians," to which he replied, "Then forgive me." He got mercilessly beat up after that...or so the joke goes, but that was still an incredibly powerful joke with more in those three little words than I have the energy to even start discussing. I'm sure there are other powerful jokes like that, but that's the only one I can think of on the fly like that. 

Graham, rest in peace. Eric, no. Right no. John, I guess...uh...you're really tall. Michael, you'd make a great lumberjack. Terry, great cartoons, bro. Other Terry...yeah, you were there. Good on you.

And on a completely unrelated note, the 5 living Pythons will have a show at the O2 arena in London on July 1st, 2014. So see it and tell me how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment